Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
14 Signature Drive, Rosslea is for sale.A NEW estate within Rosslea near the golf course is already achieving solid demand.Michele Hyde of RE/MAX Excellence – Townsville, who is marketing a home at 14 Signature Drive, Rosslea, within the Fairways Estate, said land had been selling quickly in the area, with many people building premium-style homes.She said the suburb was popular with buyers because it was only a couple of minutes drive from the CBD and because it was a well-established area with plenty of amenities including schools and shops.The median house price of Rosslea is $410,000 which increased by 28.1 per cent in the past quarter, but Ms Hyde said values within the Fairways estate would be higher because it was a higher end type of product.“The area has always been popular because it is close to the city which makes it a desirable location,’’ Ms Hyde said.“The new development is within the golf course, it (Fairways) is almost like a suburb within the suburb of Rosslea. It is a beautiful planned estate.’’The four-bedroom home in Signature Drive, is listed for $850,000. The property has views to Castle Hill.Ms Hyde said the home, which had never been lived in, was a former display home, which was now being offered for sale.More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020She said as a result it had been finished to a very high standard and included black bamboo flooring through the living areas and a black and white colour palette was used throughout.Other features include black glass Zen switchplates, black tapware and fans.“It has got a lovely finish and things you wouldn’t expect,’’ Ms Hyde said.“It was completed about 15 months ago.’’Ms Hyde said the area was well established and had beautiful big trees and wide open spaces. This house, in particular, looked over open parkland.The main bedroom is on the upstairs level and has its own balcony. It also has an ensuite and walk-in robe. There is a covered veranda which overlooks a curved shaped pool with a fountain.There are airconditioners throughout the home.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District, is seeking public comments on plans to unload 500,000 cubic yards of dredged material from Corps Island, near river mile 799 of the Upper Mississippi River. The project would involve unloading dredged material from Corps Island, a temporary placement site within the Corps’ 9-Foot Navigation Channel Maintenance Management Plan.According to USACE, the unload would ensure continued utilization of the Upper Mississippi River 9-Foot Navigation Channel.“The process by which dredged material would be removed from Corps Island, and where it would be placed or used, would be decided by the awarded contractor,” USACE said in their release.This project requires a review of environmental effects under the National Environmental Policy Act.A copy of the draft Environmental Assessment with a finding of no significant impact was coordinated with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and state resource agencies prior to posting of the public notice, said USACE.The public review and comment period on the draft Environmental Assessment ends May 7.[mappress mapid=”25033″]
Out of 19 free patents distributed,seven came from Barangay Tigmamale, five from Buluangan I, four from Bunsod,and one from Buganayan, Cansilayan and Pandanan, the DENR-6 said. DENR-6 Regional Executive DirectorFrancisco Milla Jr. said that the Handog Titulo Program was a sustained effortof the agency that delivered full ownership of land titles to thebeneficiaries. The 95-year-old Apolonia Trabucan of Baluangan I, Valderrama town, Antique receives a free land title during the launching of the Central Antique Convergence Area in the town on Nov. 8. DENR-6 The distribution was led by LoneDistrict Rep. Loren Legarda, Gov. Rhodora Cadiao, Milla, Livino Duran ofTechnical Services, Jesse Vego of Management Services, and ProvincialEnvironment and Natural Resources officer Andres Untal. The Handog Titulo Program was in linewith the 10 priority programs of DENR secretary Roy Cimatu on Improved LandAdministration and Management – to alleviate poverty and to spur socio-economicdevelopment.(With a report from DENR-6/PN) A total of 21.3985 hectares or 213,985sq.m. of agricultural land within Valderrama town were successfully distributedto its beneficiaries as part of the Handog Titulo Program of the Department ofEnvironment and Natural Resources (DENR-6) in Western Visayas. SAN JOSE, Antique – The CommunityEnvironment and Natural Resources-Belison recently distributed a total of 19free patents for agricultural lots during the launching of the Central AntiqueConvergence Area in Valderrama town in the province.
The Project Management Office of 10Min 10 said a ceremonial planting of a Katmon tree was held at the ProvincialCapitol grounds here. This was a positive developmentconsidering that in the past four years, 10M in 10 partners have planted around7.7-million trees in Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental way ahead ofschedule, said Frances Ariola, public relations specialist of geothermal powerleader Energy Development Corporation (EDC). The 10M in 10 is a private sector-ledmovement that aims to unite, inspire and encourage people to plant, grow andprotect 10-million trees in 10 years to re-green the Negros Island, accordingto its Project Management Office.(With areport from PNA/PN) To mark their fourth year anniversary,the movement honored partners whose contributions have allowed the greeningproject to reach almost eight-million native trees planted in less than halfthe number of years targeted to attain its goal. The EDC initiated the greeningmovement in 2015, partnering with the Department of Environment and NaturalResources, other government agencies, non-government organizations and privateinstitutions to embark on a massive forest restoration by planting nativetrees, she added. Professor Marlo Mendoza and ProfessorPastor Malabrigo Jr. from the College of Forestry and Natural Resources of the Universityof the Philippines-Los Baños have graced the event. “The partners’ commitment andcontinuous tree-growing efforts are the reason behind the Movement’s deeperroots. Our shared re-greening experiences within the past four years, alongwith the increasing amount of groups and individuals who express their interestto be part of 10M in 10 only reflect that the idea of uniting for a greenerNegros has taken root within each of us,” said Pinky Medina, head of the 10M in10 Project Management. BACOLOD City – The 10 Million Trees in10 Years (or simply 10M in 10) for a Greener Negros Movement on Thursdayreported an 85-percent survival rate of the millions of indigenous trees it hasplanted on the island. The highlight of the celebration wasthe recognition of the 10M in 10 partners, who planted over 10,000 trees thisyear as their contribution towards achieving the movement’s three main goals:to help protect and restore the watersheds, improve biodiversity and buildresilient communities in Negros Island. Around 100 partners attended thecelebration, representing various stakeholder groups such as governmentagencies, local government units, academic institutions, businesses, media,non-government organizations, and other concerned groups and individuals. Certificates were also granted topartners who were able to maintain at least an 85-percent survival rate oftheir planted trees.
By Dusty WiegertSALINA, Kan. – Heavy showers have canceled the open practice session scheduled for Saturday, April 18 at Salina Speedway.With the cancellation, the first event of the season will be the Browynn Birdsong Childhood Cancer Awareness Night and season opener on Friday, April 24.The evening will feature fundraising for the Birdsong family along with seven divisions of racing action.
Press Association Northern Ireland Under-21s claimed the first points of their European Championship qualification campaign with a 1-0 win over Cyprus in Lurgan. Jim Magilton took charge with Stephen Robinson away with the Under-17s and had reason to be content after his side came back into the dressing-room level. Ryan Brobbell had an early effort blocked and they were hardly troubled at the other end, with only a wayward effort from Cyprus captain Pieros Sotiriou causing any alarm. Northern Ireland goalkeeper Conor Brennan kept out the first shot on target on 62 minutes when Kostakis Artymatas finally made him work. Cyprus, a place above Northern Ireland in the group with six points, threatened through Sotiriou and Nikos Efthimiou but a draw seemed the most likely result until Gorman’s late intervention. His free-kick was turned in by Christofides to give Northern Ireland just their second goal of the campaign and the three points. Gorman almost got his name on the scoresheet soon after, but Loizou made a good save. Jonny Gorman’s 85th-minute free-kick was turned into his own net by Andreas Christofides to end a run of five straight defeats in Group Nine. It was the home side’s first shot on target of a largely lifeless encounter and they may have even had a second when Gorman drew a good save from Giorgos Loizou in the final stages.
Keith Wood has described Ireland’s repeated failure to progress beyond the World Cup quarter-finals as “a horrible and embarrassing statistic”. But with 100 days to go before rugby union’s eighth global spectacular kicks off at Twickenham, Ireland’s standing has arguably never been higher in a World Cup year. They have won the last two RBS 6 Nations Championship titles under coaching mastermind Joe Schmidt and also beaten southern hemisphere heavyweights South Africa and Australia during his reign, suggesting they could finally mount a concerted challenge on the World Cup stage. Ireland are drawn in the same pool as France, Italy, Canada and Romania, and Wood believes a semi-final appearance should be the minimum target for a squad that has made significant strides under Schmidt’s astute direction. And such an achievement would contrast starkly with previous Irish World Cup performances that realised five quarter-final exits, one quarter-final play-off defeat and a failure in 2007 to even progress beyond the pool stage. Former Ireland captain Wood represented his country at three World Cups, experiencing last-eight elimination twice and one play-off demise when that additional knockout phase was used in 1999. “It is a horrible and embarrassing statistic,” said Wood, a Rugby World Cup 2015 MasterCard ambassador. “There are times when we should have gone beyond the quarter-finals, but I think as a team and country in the professional era, we are probably more mature at this stage. “I think the structures are probably right for us to have a bit of a tilt at it this time. “I don’t think you are going to hear noises like ‘we are the best prepared team’ and all that sort of stuff. Joe seems to have the big view always, while still keeping a very keen eye on the one game at a time mantra.” Wood, who won 58 caps and played in five Tests for the British and Irish Lions, was a member of the selection panel that recommended Schmidt’s appointment as Ireland coach in April 2013, and he has huge admiration for the 49-year-old New Zealander. “I think Joe has done a great job,” Wood added. “I sat on the selection panel, which was extraordinary in the fact that I had a series of questions ready to make him feel really uncomfortable, but he answered everything in his presentation. It was so comprehensive. “I think he has brought that level of detail to the Irish team, and it needed it. “I think it puts the players under an awful lot of pressure, physically. He works the players very hard, but they are responding to it very well and they are dedicated to it. “If they can have all their players together, then you would say that their minimum target has to be getting to the semi-finals, but if say (half-backs) Conor Murray and Johnny Sexton were injured, the shape of the team they’ve had for the last year is gone. How does the team react to that? “I think an awful lot hinges on injuries over the next four or five months, but that applies to all the teams. “At this stage, with the tournament so close, as a player you are just looking to get yourself in the best place you can possibly be and hope that you can clear yourself of injuries. “It’s a daunting time – full of fear and anticipation – and you want to make sure you don’t play the Rugby World Cup in your mind before you get to the tournament because you will be burnt out.” While some of the World Cup contenders, including reigning champions New Zealand, should enjoy relatively trouble-free routes to the quarter-finals, the same cannot be said for hosts England, Wales and Australia. Pitched together in the same pool, one high-profile nation will be eliminated with indecent haste, and Wood said: “That pool is just downright ugly. “There are three teams there that have huge capacity and could each beat each other. There is nothing worse, really, than having a tournament where you have preordained quarter-finals. You can’t preordain anything in that group, and I wouldn’t want to call anything between any of those three teams. “I think rugby has moved on quite a large step in the last four years. Look at what can only be described as almost an hallucinogenic final day of the Six Nations this year when all the (title-challenging) teams played at ludicrous levels. “It showed that these players, sometimes, if they can take off the shackles a little bit and really push the standard, it opens up possibilities for the World Cup.” :: Keith Wood is a MasterCard Rugby World Cup 2015 brand ambassador. MasterCard will be delivering Priceless Surprises to MasterCard card holders and rugby fans around the world. Press Association
Former Vice President Joe Biden says he is running for president.Biden is seen as the frontrunner in a crowded field of Democrats vying for the 2020 nomination.Nearly 20 Democrats have announced plans to challenge President Trump in 2020. The core values of this nation… our standing in the world… our very democracy…everything that has made America — America –is at stake. That’s why today I’m announcing my candidacy for President of the United States. #Joe2020 https://t.co/jzaQbyTEz3— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) April 25, 2019 He’ll follow up with a big campaign rally in Pittsburgh on Monday. Biden is expected to argue that he can unify a nation fractured by Donald Trump’s presidency. The 76-year-old Biden was President Obama’s VP for eight years, after representing Delaware in the Senate for 32 years.
PASADENA, Calif. – Once again, the Wisconsin Badgers took a game of great magnitude down to the very last second.This time, however, time passed by a little too quickly for an offense forced to overcome a seven-point deficit more than halfway through the fourth quarter. Consequently, the No. 5 Oregon Ducks (12-2, 8-1 Pac-12) were able to outlast the No. 10 Badgers (11-3, 6-2 Big Ten) in the 98th Rose Bowl Game Monday afternoon.After two exceedingly confusing plays early in the second half, the Badgers were left with just one timeout for the final 25:50 of the game. The result was a final drive that had Wisconsin scrambling to cover 87 yards with just 16 seconds remaining. Though two long passes from quarterback Russell Wilson brought the Badgers 62 yards downfield, the clock expired before a third play – and a pass into the end zone – could be attempted.After running back Montee Ball rushed for 13 yards on a 3rd-and-1 from Oregon’s 27-yard line early in the third quarter, head coach Bret Bielema sprinted over to the referee on his sideline to call a timeout as the Badgers were lining up for the next play. 12:18 remained in the quarter, and with Wisconsin already trailing 35-28 against an Oregon team that had gained 341 yards on just 29 first-half plays, the early loss of a timeout was puzzling.Ball did hurdle a defender at the end of his run and appeared to catch a helmet to the groin, though he showed barely any sign of injury after being tackled by a crowd of Oregon players. After the game, Bielema said the Badgers lined up in a “busted formation” on the play and he wanted to make sure they were not flagged for a 5-yard penalty.“It was basically, for lack of a better term, the wide receiver was on the side opposite of what we had lined up,” Bielema said.On the field, however, the situation wasn’t as clear for Wisconsin’s players.“I’m not exactly sure,” left guard Travis Frederick said. “I was in there, they called a timeout. I just do what they tell me to do.”After the timeout, Ball rushed for another two yards to the Ducks’ 12-yard line. After a rush for no gain and an incomplete pass, Wisconsin was forced to kick a 29-yard field goal, bringing the score to 35-31 in favor of Oregon.On the ensuing kickoff, Oregon returner De’Anthony Thomas caught the football and took a knee in the endzone. Referees called the play a touchback and advanced the ball to the Ducks’ 20-yard line, though the Badgers’ sideline insisted the play should be ruled down at the one-yard line because it appeared Thomas stepped out of the endzone before taking the knee.Bielema wanted the play to be reviewed, though after huddling with officials, none was given. The referees also declined to announce any sort of explanation, instead whistling ahead the start of the play.“I saw the return man put his foot on the line and it looked like the ball was out over the line,” Bielema said. “I was trying to ask the official on my sideline if I could challenge him not getting across the line and he looked at me like I had three heads. They couldn’t get the answer, so they called a timeout and then they actually came back to me and said because they couldn’t give me the information in an adequate amount of time, they weren’t going to use that as a I challenge, they were going to use it as a timeout.”Wisconsin’s defense ultimately held Oregon to a three-and-out, and the Badgers scored a touchdown on an 18-yard pass from Wilson to wide receiver Nick Toon after a 9-play, 62-yard drive. The play put the Badgers ahead 38-35, and that score held through the end of the third quarter.However, Wisconsin entered the fourth quarter with just one timeout. Oregon’s defense, which had surrendered 399 yards in the first three quarters, stiffened to allow Wisconsin just 109 in the final quarter. The Ducks were able to muster 10 points of their own, taking a 45-38 lead an 11-yard pass from quarterback Darron Thomas to wide receiver Lavasier Tuinei at the 14:35 mark.Following a three-and-out by the Badgers’ offense, the Ducks were able to grind the clock away with a 12-play, 76-yard drive that consumed 5:54. Kicker Alejandro Maldonado’s 30-yard field goal left Wisconsin 6:50 to score seven points, but again, with just one timeout.“When you’re presented with an opportunity and you’re right there, you’re so close, for the second year in a row to be at The Granddaddy of Them All and to lose, it’s heartbreaking, man,” safety Aaron Henry said. “A lot of people may say it’s just a game, it’s just a game, it’s just a game; but when you put all you have into the game, it hurts. When you invest time in something, whether it’s a relationship or a family member, … and you lose it, it’s painful.”