Jose Mourinho will return to the Chelsea dugout on Sunday after escaping a touchline ban for his furious tirade against referee Anthony Taylor. “It was a good goal for me, a good counter-attack for us and it helped that we have good sprinters.” Chelsea will be looking to avenge their FA Cup semi-final defeat to the Sky Blues this weekend. City denied Chelsea at Wembley with a 2-1 win in April, and the north-west outfit have a good recent record against their rivals. City are unbeaten in their last five meetings with the west Londoners and it is two years since Chelsea beat them at home. Last Saturday Mourinho sprung to the touchline and shouted at Taylor after becoming annoyed at the referee for urging Branislav Ivanovic to hurry up and take a throw-in when he thought Cardiff had been wasting time all match. Taylor sent Mourinho to the stands, where he took in the last 20 minutes of the 4-1 win sat alongside some startled Chelsea supporters. He paid for the outburst on Thursday after he was hit with an £8,000 fine from the Football Association, but there was no touchline ban, so he will be allowed back on the bench for Chelsea’s game against Manchester City. A statement from the FA read: “Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been fined £8,000 after he admitted a breach of FA Rule E3 in that his behaviour in or around the 69th minute of his side’s game against Cardiff City on 19 October 2013 amounted to improper conduct. ”The fine is the standard penalty for the offence.” The fact that Mourinho will not be banished to the stands for a second consecutive league game is welcome news for the Chelsea squad, who are just starting to find their groove under the Portuguese. The Blues overcame an early setback to comfortably defeat Cardiff and they followed that win up with a Fernando Torres-inspired victory over Schalke in midweek. The Spaniard, starting his 100th game for the club, scored twice in Germany while Eden Hazard also got himself on the scoresheet for the fifth time this season. The Belgian scored 13 times for Chelsea last term and he hopes to find the net for a third successive game this weekend. “The goal against Schalke was my first in the Champions League and now I hope to score again and again with Chelsea FC,” the midfielder told Chelsea TV. Press Association
After two road wins over Michigan and Michigan state this past weekend, the Wisconsin volleyball team added another win to their match streak Wednesday night as they won their 14th straight match, defeating Michigan once again, 25-19, 26-24, 25-18.Friday night was a thrilling match for both Wisconsin and Michigan, as they battled through five sets. In the end, the Badgers overcame the Wolverines, but Wednesday evening, Michigan was given a second chance within a five-day period to win against Wisconsin; but this time, under the lights of the UW Field House.“All week it was a business approach from our team,” head coach Kelly Sheffield said. “It was just the next team in front of us and I think that our team is really good at being consistent with their approach and taking each match as it comes.”Set one started off well for the Badgers as the gained a 2-0 lead right from the get-go with a kill from outside hitter Ellen Chapman and a combined team block. However, that lead did not last long. There were a total of five ties in the first set, primarily due to a few hitting and service errors by both teams.Finally, with the score at 15-12, a service ace by senior right side hitter Courtney Thomas began the Badgers’ climb towards victory. Back-to-back kills by Chapman forced Michigan to call a timeout at 22-15. Michigan’s star middle blocker Abby Cole answered with a stifling kill of her own, helping her team nudge their way back into the set. Ultimately, Wisconsin’s red shirt senior Dominique Thompson demolished a kill out of the middle to win the set for Wisconsin 25-19.In the second set, defense started to become a lot more notable. Scrambling plays filled with fantastic scrappy saves and impeccable defense on both sides of the net made for long rallies. Wisconsin only allowed 35 kills off of 135 attempted assists from Michigan. According to setter Lauren Carlini, the team’s all around defense was something to be proud of.“There was a lot more discipline with the blocking and the back row working together. Last game [we were] kind of all over the place,” Carlini explained. “Our bodies weren’t in the right position. I think this game we focused in a lot more and stayed disciplined.”However, set two was an edge-of-your-seat type of set. With a total of 15 ties in this set alone, the Badgers definitely had their work cut out for them. Wisconsin had a good run going during the beginning of the match, when they were up 10-6 after Thomas tipped the ball just over a block. With good aggressive net play by Michigan, the Wolverines were able to tie the set up at 11 a piece.Finally, three kills in a row from the combined efforts of Chapman and middle blocker Haleigh Nelson propelled the Badgers towards somewhat of a lead. Michigan was not about to let up easily as they clawed their way back in, tying it up as 23 points each after a missed serve from Chapman. A kill by freshman Kelly Bates put the Badgers on top 25-24. A missed dump by Michigan setter, Lexi Dannemiller handed the set to Wisconsin, and put them ahead 2-0.The third set started out in another tug-of-war battle. Two ball handling errors in a row by Dannemiller helped the Badgers get on top 5-4. It was not until the serving efforts of Kelli Bates that Wisconsin was able to pull away with a four point lead 13-9 that kept on growing.About one rally after Cole received a monstrous kill off of a slide, the 6-foot-5 star was slow to get up after a play. She did walk slowly and unaided to the bench and stood after a few minutes, but did not return to the game after the score read 17-12.After that, the game sailed smoothly along for the Badgers. Bates and Thompson combined for a block, which was followed by a fiery kill from Thomas out of the back row, increasing their lead 22-15.To finish, a perfectly executed block by Carlini and Nelson sent the Wolverines packing, and tacked on another sweep for Wisconsin as they capped off the match 25-18.This fourteen game win streak has kept the Badgers at the top of the Big Ten and within the top ten teams in the NCAA rankings. The team takes this lightly and does not harp on the past. They stay focused and only look to the future.“It feels like we’ve just won one match and we have another one in a couple of days,” Nelson said. “[The] train keeps moving. We forget about the last one. The streak is awesome, but we’re already focused on Iowa.”The Badgers will now travel to Iowa to take on the Hawkeyes again this Saturday night at 7 p.m.
Why can you order a beer with food outside at county restaurants, but not a brewery? Southern California groups scramble to get accurate census count as deadline looms For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.The vast majority of people recover from the new virus. According to the World Health Organization, people with mild illness recover in about two weeks, while those with more severe illness may take three to six weeks to recover. In mainland China, where the virus first exploded, more than 80,000 people have been diagnosed and more than 58,000 have so far recovered.It’s not just the team sports that have been shut down: Pro tennis and golf have basically been called off for the next several weeks, with such marquee events as Indian Wells and the Miami Open in tennis and The Players Championship and Masters in golf either canceled or postponed. The NCAA men’s Division I college basketball tournament — March Madness — was to release its bracket Sunday and start the now-canceled 68-team tournament Tuesday. The women’s Division I tournament was to have started this week.Related Articles Kaiser commits $63 million to support contact tracing in California Small businesses are dying by the thousands – and no one is tracking the carnage The already-delayed professional sports seasons in North America could be on hiatus for significantly longer than first planned after federal officials said Sunday that they recommend all in-person events involving 50 people or more be called off for the next eight weeks.That’s twice as long as the 30-day shutdowns that the NBA, NHL and Major League Soccer decided to put into place last week in response to the global coronavirus pandemic that has already made a deep impact on the U.S. financial markets and has been blamed for at least 64 deaths in this country.Major League Baseball also was going with what essentially was a 30-day shutdown after canceling the rest of spring training and pushing back the start of regular season play for two weeks; opening day was to have been March 26.But new recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Sunday night seem to suggest that sports in this country could for all intents and purposes be gone until May, if not later. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error They’ve all been called off, as have all other winter- and spring-sport seasons at all levels of the NCAA. Most high school state associations have also had to cancel seasons and championships as well. Some minor-league hockey leagues have canceled seasons, and it seems increasingly unlikely that the G League — the NBA’s minor league — will resume play this season. Even a polo match in South Florida on Sunday was played without fans or reporters present, with organizers saying they needed to take ultimate precautions.Some NBA players were spending Sunday at home playing video games; Miami’s Goran Dragic posted a video of himself outside his house kicking a soccer ball around. Others, like Golden State’s Stephen Curry, were urging their fans to continue taking the pandemic seriously.“We all have to take responsibility for ourselves and do whatever it takes to #stopthespread,” Curry told his 14.1 million followers on Twitter. “There’s a sense of urgency to flatten the curve and give ourselves and the healthcare system the best chance to get through this pandemic. Share this message and let’s protect each other!” “CDC, in accordance with its guidance for large events and mass gatherings, recommends that for the next 8 weeks, organizers … cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States,” it said. “Events of any size should only be continued if they can be carried out with adherence to guidelines for protecting vulnerable populations, hand hygiene, and social distancing.”The eight-week window easily exceeds what would have been the remainder of the NBA and NHL regular seasons, plus would cover about the first 25% of the MLB season — or roughly 40 games per team. It would also cast serious doubt on the ability to hold other major U.S. sporting events as planned, such as the Kentucky Derby in early May.The NBA was already bracing to play games without fans in arenas, something that would have started late last week had a player — Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz — not tested positive for the virus, COVID-19. Utah teammate Donovan Mitchell and Detroit’s Christian Wood have tested positive since, but Gobert’s diagnosis was enough for the league to say that it was suspending play.“I’ve been feeling a little better every single day,” Gobert said in a video posted Sunday. He added, “I wish I would have took this thing more seriously.”The NBA has already been asking teams to share availability for their arenas through the end of July, a sign that the league is prepared to extend the season at least that long if necessary — and those moves came a couple of days before the CDC made its latest recommendation. The NBA regular season was to have ended April 15 and the NBA Finals were to have started June 4, with the season done on or before June 21. Virus pandemic reshaping air travel as carriers struggle
OAKLAND >> A night after hosting a party, the Lakers played as if they nursed a hangover.The Lakers’ 125-94 loss Wednesday to the Golden State Warriors at Oracle Arena looked nothing like that season-opening win the previous night against the Clippers, perhaps providing a case-study that the purple and gold’s mix of eager castoffs may produce results both exciting and head-scratching.“It wasn’t overconfidence,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said. “You come out so hyped the day before that your body responds by being down. They’re up because it’s the first game.”It didn’t help Steve Nash sat out of the second night of a back-to-back, a possible season-long experiment the Lakers may take with the 39-year-old point guard in hopes ensuring long-term health. Or that the Lakers played the second night of a back-to-back while the Warriors just opened their season. They had no answer for Klay Thompson, who exploded for a career-high 38 points on 15-of-19 shooting, including 12 points in the second quarter. Or David Lee (24 points). Or the Warriors’ 3-point shooting (15 of 27).“We had lack of speed,” D’Antoni said. “I don’t know if they were tired, had emotions spent or if we need to run and play harder.” The Lakers still cracked double digits from Pau Gasol (12 points on 5-of-10 shooting shooting and seven rebounds) and the new starting backcourt of Steve Blake (10 points on only 4-of-13 shooting) and Jodie Meeks (14 points on 4-of-8 shooting and 5 of 6 from the foul line). But Gasol’s production appeared fairly quiet as the team’s featured player.“I try to be a focal point and make things easier,” Gasol said. “But I’d like to see more consistency so I can help the team have a better flow and be more productive.”The Lakers’ bench also failed to follow the blueprint they mapped out against the Clippers on how to surpass this season’s expectations.A night after posting a career-high 22 points against the Clippers, Xavier Henry scored 14 points on only 4-of-11 shooting. A night after Jordan Farmar led the second unit with 16 points and six assists, Farmar’s 12 points on 5-of-13 shooting mostly came in garbage time. A night after compensating for his 1 of 11 shooting night by holding Griffin scoreless in the fourth quarter, Wesley Johnson’s 11 points on 4-of-11 shooting only looked mildly better.“Let’s hope this is a one-off,” Farmar said. “Let’s get this sour taste out of our mouth and use this as motivation going forward and learn a lesson from it.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Still, Nash played only 21 minutes in the season opener because the Lakers’ youthful and athletic bench seemingly did everything. He also dressed for in-case-of-emergency purposes, though that only applies injuries and foul trouble and not double-digit deficits.It goes without saying, but the Lakers sure miss Kobe Bryant as continues to rehab his left Achilles tendon. But even with Bryant staying on the sidelines, the Lakers showed two different identities on consecutive nights. “They came out and played more aggressive,” said Lakers forward Nick Young, who had only six points on 2-of-9 shooting. “They played hard and were the better team. You can’t say it was because it was a back-to-back or we were too pumped for the season opener. They played harder than we did.”Against the Clippers, the Lakers’ bench combined for 76 points, the team’s third-highest total in franchise history. Against the Warriors, the Lakers finished with 46 bench points. The Lakers showed a myriad of ways they could score against the Clippers, including fast-break points, 3-pointers and teamwork. The Lakers showed a myriad of ways of looking sluggish on offense against Golden State, including airballs and shots going off the backboard.Then there was the defense.