A Sophia, Greater Georgetown man was on Wednesday remanded to prison after he appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan on a rape charge.It is alleged that 34-year-old Aduke Josiah of Plum Street, Sophia, raped a 15-year-old girl on August 18, 2018. The prosecution is contended that the teen was in his care at the time of the incident. Following the incident, the teen informed her mother what had occurred and a report was made to the Police. In court on Wednesday, the prosecution did not say why the charges were instituted eight months later. However, Josiah was remanded to prison and the case will continue on April 12.Meanwhile, a technician, who is accused of raping a woman who rejected his advances, was released on $100,000 bail when he too appeared before the Chief Magistrate.It is alleged that on August 24, 2018, he made sexual advances towards the Virtual Complainant, but she rejected him. This alleged made the 57-year-old angry and he reportedly forced himself onto her. The alleged rape reportedly occurred at Alberttown, Georgetown.The case will continue on April 10.
This year’s Arnie Isberg One Pitch Tournament set a new record for teams registered, and in turn a new fundraising benchmark was also established. The tournament brought in $10,637 which will be going towards the Fort St. John Hospital Foundation Cancer Treatment and Diagnostic Fund.The total surpassed last year’s figure of $8,700.The tournament is held in memory of former long time Fort St. John resident Arnie Isberg. Throughout his life he was dedicated to various athletic programs in the region.- Advertisement -Isberg fell victim to Pleomorphic Sarcoma, a rare form of cancer that only affects approximately 350 patients in North America, and is an extremely challenging health issue to treat.20 teams participated in this year’s event with groups coming not just from Fort St. John, but Dawson Creek, Grande Prairie, Chetwynd, and Fort Nelson.
0Shares0000Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore (center) with FKF President Nick Mwendwa (left) and Harambee Stars Captain and Totenham Hotspurs midfielder Victor Wanyama during the during the unveiling of Safaricom football property dubbed ‘Chapa Dimba na Safaricom’.NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 8 – Over 300 teams from the Rift Valley region will kick off the inaugural Chapa Dimba na Safaricom tournament this weekend.The teams from Central and North Rift will take part in the group stages of the tournament in over 70 different venues. The teams will play in Molo Stadium, Rhonda Primary and Njoro Day in Nakuru. In Keiyo, the teams will compete at St. Patrick’s Iten, among other venues as they seek to qualify for the regional play-offs.The competition will then move to Western and Nyanza regions in October, Coast and North Eastern in November. Central and Nairobi regions play-offs begin in January.“We are glad that the journey to discovering Kenya’s next biggest football stars is finally about to kick off. The Rift region has one of the highest number of teams so we expect to see some amazing action on the ground,” said Nick Mwendwa, FKF, President.The competition seeks to develop grassroot football, scout youth talent and eventually draft gifted players to the National team. It will feature 1,342 boys teams and 282 girls teams from all over the country.“We are happy to be part of a tournament that will determine the next generation of great football talent. We wish all the participating teams the best of luck as they try out for a chance to participate in the knockout phase,” said Sylvia Mulinge, Director – Consumer Business, Safaricom.The group stages will be followed by the knockout phase, regional finals, with the grand finale set for March 2018.The winning teams will walk away with Sh1 Million each and an opportunity to go for an international winning camp in London in April 2018.Safaricom has invested Shs100 million towards the program which includes Shs10 million shillings worth of prizes as well as for renovation of some of the community pitches through a legacy programme to provide football related equipment to assist the grassroots teams.Safaricom has previously sponsored football programmes including Sakata Ball and Safaricom Next Generation in partnership with My Profession Dreams Academy. Other sports that Safaricom is involved in are Athletics, Golf, Rugby and the Classic Safari Rally.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)
0Shares0000Arsene Wenger knows winning the Europa League is Arsenal’s only realistic chance of competing in next season’s Champions League © AFP/File / Ben STANSALLMOSCOW, Russian Federation, Apr 11 – Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal cannot afford a dip in concentration in Thursday’s Europa League quarter-final second leg against CSKA Moscow despite holding a 4-1 advantage in the tie.“Football is an unpredictable game and that’s why we love it so much,” Wenger told reporters in Moscow on Wednesday, after watching Barcelona crash out of the Champions League from a similar position on Tuesday. “Now we just need to keep ourselves concentrated and to show our best on the pitch to keep (our lead).”The Gunners are sixth in the Premier League, a huge 13 points off fourth-placed arch-rivals Tottenham Hotspur.Only the top four sides in the Premier League qualify for the Champions League. That means Arsenal’s only realistic route back into Europe’s most prestigious and lucrative tournament is by winning the second-string Europa League.It is also the only trophy the Gunners can lift this season.“Europa League is our top priority this season as in the league things aren’t going really well,” said Wenger, mindful that CSKA cannot be written off just yet.“CSKA have a very strong midfield. Probably the strongest midfield in the Russian league. (Alan) Dzagoev and (Alexander) Golovin have proved their high level in the match in London.“We’re currently in the last eight and we still need to show our best to advance into the semi-finals.”Wenger has been in charge of Arsenal since 1996 but has yet to win any European trophy with the club, although they were beaten on penalties in the 2000 UEFA Cup final, the forerunner of the Europa League, and lost to Barcelona in the 2006 Champions League final.– ‘Never relax’ –Arsenal centre-back Shkodran Mustafi believes Roma’s 3-0 defeat of Barcelona, a result that sent the Italian side through on away goals, should serve as a note of caution for his team-mates.“I think that the match between Roma and Barcelona should become a really good lesson for us ahead of the match with CSKA,” Mustafi said. “You should never relax otherwise you can crash out of the tournament. We shouldn’t repeat these mistakes.”CSKA face a monumental task to flip the tie in their favour against a team coach Viktor Gancharenko called one of the favourites for the Europa League title.“If you play without faith, nothing will happen,” Gancharenko said. “We should come onto the pitch (Thursday) with a belief that we can change the situation.“We also need to make some tactical changes but there’s no guarantee that our play will become much better.”Arsenal’s Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who hurt his knee in the first leg, is out injured but Gancharenko knows his absence won’t lessen the size of the challenge that stands in front of CSKA.“Arsenal have a big number of players. They can substitute Mkhitaryan with a very skilled player though it’s very hard to make a worthy replacement,” he said.“But anyway it will not make our task easier. Arsenal and Atletico (Madrid) are the main Europa League favourites.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Mario Balotelli will make his Liverpool debut against Tottenham on Sunday lunchtime.The Italian, who completed a £16million move to the Reds earlier this month, will start at White Hart Lane, alongside Daniel Sturridge.Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris, Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose, Bentaleb, Capoue, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Adebayor.Subs: Chiriches, Holtby, Townsend, Kane, Dembele, Friedel, Davies.Liverpool: Mignolet, Manquillo, Sakho, Lovren, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Sterling, Balotelli, Sturridge.Subs: Brad Jones, Jose Enrique, Toure, Lambert, Coutinho, Can, Markovic. 1 Mario Balotelli
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant “You told me, ‘I’m going to a camp. I’ll do this, I’ll do that,”‘ Khan said in a conversation recorded in July 2003, several months after Hayat arrived in Pakistan. “You’re sitting idle. You’re wasting time. “Be a man – do something!” The conversations raise questions about whether Hayat intended to train as a terrorist and return to the U.S. to carry out attacks, as government prosecutors claim. Hayat, a U.S. citizen, is charged with three counts of making false statements to the FBI about attending an al-Qaida camp in Pakistan and with providing material support to terrorists. He faces up to 39 years in prison if convicted. His attorney, Wazhma Mojaddidi, has previously said the government paid Khan $250,000 since it recruited him shortly after the 2001 terror attacks. He was working at a fast-food restaurant in Bend, Ore., at the time. Khan, 32, emigrated from Pakistan as a teenager and was awarded U.S. citizenship after he became an informant, according to previous testimony. He struck up a friendship with Hayat shortly after arriving in the Central Valley agricultural town of Lodi in May 2002 as part of an FBI effort to infiltrate the area’s Pakistani community. The two kept in touch after Hayat left for Pakistan in March 2003, leading to some of the conversations read in court Tuesday. SACRAMENTO – An FBI informant repeatedly pushed a terror suspect to attend an al-Qaida camp while he was in Pakistan, at one point yelling at him in a telephone conversation: “Be a man – do something!” The suspect, 23-year-old Hamid Hayat, is charged with lying to federal investigators about attending the camp and is standing trial in U.S. District Court. Transcripts of secretly recorded telephone conversations between Hayat and the informant were read to jurors Tuesday. In one conversation, Hayat seemed to be procrastinating after he said he planned to attend a religious school, and then a terrorist training camp, when he was visiting Pakistan in 2003. The government informant, Naseem Khan, berated Hayat as lazy and said he was “wasting time,” according to the transcripts. Khan even threatened to fly to Pakistan and force Hayat into a religious school run by Hayat’s grandfather. Hayat later told FBI interrogators that students from the school often went to terror training camps. Khan and Hayat used pay telephones to communicate because Hayat thought they would be safe from government surveillance, Khan told jurors. He also said Hayat sent him four cassette tapes of speeches by Pakistani political and religious leaders. Khan repeatedly pressed Hayat to send more of the inflammatory tapes. In turn, Khan promised to send Hayat “quite a lot” of money to back a radical Islamic party in Pakistan. He testified that he never actually sent any money, however, complaining to Hayat that he feared the money would go to waste. Hayat reassured Khan that the party was merely biding its time. “They’re looking for an opportunity. That’s when they’ll strike a blow,” Hayat said, according to the transcripts. Hayat complained that Pakistani leaders were working against the interests of Islam by cracking down on the training camps and extremist political parties and cooperating with the United States to combat terrorism, according to transcripts. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Strictly star Daniel O’Donnell is hoping Irish Eyes Are Smiling when he dances to the famous song on the BBC show this weekend.The star and partner Kristina Rihanoff will light-foot it across the floor to the waltz to get them started on the show.The show, which airs tomorrow night at 9pm, will see Daniel and his partner step it up a gear to impress the judges. Daniel continues to heap praise on his dance teacher Kristina saying she has so much patience with him.The Kincasslagh man revealed earlier this week that he has a habit of sticking out his tongue when concentrating on dance moves.“Kristina keeps telling me to keep my tongue in,” laughed Daniel.DANIEL HOPING IRISH EYES WILL BE SMILING ON STRICTLY ………! was last modified: September 24th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:daniel o’donnellStrictly Come Dancing
Gardai discovered a sheep skeleton and other dying animals when they raided a farm in Downings.Gardai were tipped off by animal welfare officers about possible cases of cruelty on the farm of Joseph McBride, 56.Sgt Christy Galligan told Letterkenny District Court that he had called to the farm at Murleog, Downings in February and March, 2010. When he called he found a lame goat in poor condition, a dead lamb and the skeleton of a sheep.The court was also told a number of other animals were in poor condition.McBride was charged with failing to remove dead animals from his property.Pictures of the scene were given to Judge Paul Kelly who said “I’d like to thank the sergeant for being helpful to me as the photographs don’t make for attractive viewing, I have to say.”Defence solicitor Kieran Dillon told the court that McBride was a small farmer who had been suffering from ill-health and that improvements had been made on the farm since the incident.ISPCA Inspector Kevin McGinley said they could not say for certain how the animals had died or had suffered.“While we have no way of knowing how the animals died in this case, we can say that leaving them lying unburied like this is totally wrong.“This is not an issue about the recession or lack of money. There is simply no excuse for failing to properly dispose of a dead animal.”“We would urge the public to be our eyes and ears in cases like this; it is important for public health that dead or dying animals are removed.”Judge Kelly ordered McBride to pay €250 to the ISPCA and allow for another inspection of his farm before June 11th.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comFARMER FINED AFTER ANIMALS FOUND DYING ON HIS LANDS was last modified: January 10th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DowningsISPCAJoseph McBride
Here are all the top transfer-related football stories in Sunday’s newspapers…Man United will announce the signing of defender Victor Lindelof from Benfica for £30m next week. (Sunday Express)The Red Devils will compete with Real Madrid and Arsenal in the race for Kylian Mbappe. The club are ready to pay £100m for the French starlet, but senior officials at Old Trafford believe Madrid are in pole position to secure his signature. (The Sun)Liverpool are confident of completing a £35m move for winger Mohamed Salah. (Sunday Mirror)Arda Turan has agreed a move to Arsenal but the Gunners have not yet settled a transfer fee with Barcelona, according to reports in Spain. (Metro)Everton boss Ronald Koeman is keen on West Ham midfielder Pedro Obiang, as competition for Idrissa Gueye. An offer in excess of £15m would see them turn a huge profit on a player for whom they paid Sampdoria £4.3m two years ago. (Mirror)Man United want £66m from Real Madrid for their 26-year-old goalkeeper David de Gea. (Sunday Times)Man City have had an initial offer for Benjamin Mendy rejected by Monaco. The scale of the bid is not yet clear but the French champions are understood to value the full-back at around £40m. (Sunday Telegraph)Manchester United could contemplate an audacious move for Gareth Bale after their pursuit of Antoine Griezmann all but ended. It is understood United cooled their interest in Griezmann partly because they would prefer to spend a lavish fee on a more team-focused forward like Bale. (Manchester Evening News)Wojciech Szczesny’s agent has claimed the player will not discuss moving to Juventus until he has first talked to Arsene Wenger about his future at Arsenal. (Independent)Tottenham striker Vincent Janssen says he is ‘keeping all options open’ ahead of a possible departure from White Hart Lane. (London Evening Standard)Young Nigerian striker Henry Onyekuru has revealed that Arsenal have made an offer to sign him from Belgian side KAS Eupen. Onyekuru, who scored 20 goals in 36 appearances last season, has admitted that his dream move to Arsenal is close to becoming a reality. (Sunday Mirror)And here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…??Juventus 1-4 Real Madrid: Los Blancos retain Champions League in emphatic victoryJuventus 1-4 Real Madrid: Premier League transfer targets rated and slatedWhich nation is the most prolific in Champions League finals? Most goals scored by each country revealed and rankedMiddlesbrough FC news: Fabrizio Ravanelli wants Steve Gibson to offer him managerial post at RiversideWhich team has won most European trophies? Most successful sides revealed and rankedTransfer news: This summer’s 12 most wanted Premier League targets? Transfer rumours and paper review 1