‘SIM registration law to curb fake natural disaster updates’

first_imgGatchalian filed Senate Bill 176 or theSubscriber Identity Module Registration Act last year where end-users ofprepaid SIM cards would be required to present a valid identification card andsign a control-number registration form issued by the SIM card’s serviceprovider. Prior to that, Phivolcs repeatedlywarned the public against spreading fake news during natural disasters such asearthquakes and tsunamis. “Nakitanatin nitong mga nakaraang araw na habang nagsisikap tayong panatilihing ligtasang ating mga kababayan, may ilan namang sadyang nagpapakalat ng malingimpormasyon na lalo namang nagiging sanhi ng kalituhan at pag-aalala,” saidGatchalian. MANILA – The implementation of the SIMcard registration law will be a better tool to combat disinformation sownthrough SMS services, especially during natural disasters, Sen. SherwinGatchalian said. On Monday, the Philippine Institute ofVolcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) denied online rumors that an Alert Level5 – signifying that a hazardous eruption was in progress – had been raised onTaal Volcano. Gatchalian said in a press statementover the weekend that implementing mandatory registration for those usingprepaid SIM cards could help authorities track down fake news mongers. However, Gatchalian assured the publicthat their cellular information would still be kept private in accordance withthe constitutional right to privacy and applicable laws./PNlast_img read more

Campaign Spending Limits Up For Vote On Capitol Hill

first_imgFile PhotoINDIANAPOLIS – Advocates for campaign finance reform say the U.S. Senate is expected to make an historic vote today on Senate Joint Resolution 19.That’s the proposed constitutional amendment that would give Congress and the states control of political campaign spending limits.Julia Vaughn, policy director at Common Cause Indiana, says passage of the resolution is unlikely given that it needs two-thirds support, or 67 votes, to pass.But she says broad political support is an important symbolic victory in what will likely be a long-term political effort to get big money out of politics.“We could very well lose the representative democracy that has served our country well for a long time,” she stresses. “We’re flipping really close to a government of and by the elite. And Americans are not willing to let our democracy go without a fight.”U.S. Supreme Court rulings – in Buckley versus Valeo in the 1970s and the more recent Citizens United and McCutcheon cases – have determined that spending money on elections is a form of speech or opinion, making campaign contributions, not simply campaign messages, a First Amendment issue.Indiana’s U.S. senators have not signed onto the legislation.Vaugn says the matter of big money in politics goes against core American beliefs and she says it’s hit a nerve with Hoosiers from all political backgrounds.“There is this sense of personal offense by the Supreme Court saying that a corporation has the same rights as me or that the billionaire has more rights than I do.”Passage of a constitutional amendment requires a two-thirds vote in Congress, and support from three-quarters, or 38, of the states.Mary Kuhlmanlast_img read more

UPDATED: Lukaku’s goal helps Inter reach Europa League semis

first_img Kai Havertz smashed home from six yards out to give Leverkusen hope but they could not find a leveller to force extra time in the one-off tie. Antonio Conte’s side will face the winner of Shakhtar Donetsk v Basel in the semi-final on 17 August, also in Dusseldorf. Lukaku is the first player to ever score in nine Uefa Cup or Europa League matches in a row, although that run includes five games for Everton in 2014-15. Advertisement Romelu Lukaku scored for a record ninth consecutive Europa League game as Inter Milan beat Bayer Leverkusen in Dusseldorf to reach the semi-finals on Monday night. Nicolo Barella fired home an excellent 20-yard strike to give Inter the lead. Lukaku controlled Ashley Young’s pass, turned a defender and slotted home for his 31st goal of the season. Loading… center_img Promoted Content5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks6 Most Breathtaking Bridges In The WorldBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year6 Major TV Characters We Were Relieved To See Leaving The ShowA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayBest Car Manufacturers In The World7 Reasons It’s Better To Be A Vegan8 Things To Expect If An Asteroid Hits Our Planet7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market Value18 Beautiful Cities That Are Tourist MagnetsTop 10 Tiniest Phones Ever Made Read Also: Abramovich to boost Chelsea’s transfer plans with £200m fundsHe twice prepared to take a penalty – in the first half and in injury time at the end – but both times the decisions were overturned by the video assistant referee.The Italian side could have beaten Leverkusen by more with Lukaku forcing Lukas Hradecky into a good save and former Premier League players Christian Eriksen, Alexis Sanchez and Victor Moses going close after coming off the bench.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

Hoops boost survival hopes

first_img The home side started strongly and after Park Ji-sung charged down a Sebastian Larsson strike, QPR pushed forward and were unfortunate to see Junior Hoilett strike wide in the fourth minute. Hoilett wriggled free down the left and snuck past makeshift right-back Craig Gardner, before firing across the face of goal. Townsend on the opposite flank was another full of life in the early stages and saw a strike miss the target, while Bobby Zamora saw penalty claims for a push by John O’Shea waved away. It was the visitors, though, that broke the deadlock when Adam Johnson picked up a Stephane Sessegnon cross at the back post. The former Manchester City winger sent in a fierce cross-shot, which Fletcher turned home with ease from close range. The Hoops were level when Townsend’s long-range strike fortuitously deflected off O’Shea into the path of Remy, who swept home with ease from close range to the delighted of the home support. Barely a minute into second half, Samba had to be alert to deny Danny Graham before Johnson put a fizzing drive narrowly wide but Townsend fired QPR ahead in stunning fashion. Sunderland cleared a Jose Bosingwa cross out of the box, only for Townsend to control the ball on his chest before firing home a superb 25-yard half volley as Loftus Road erupted. Bosingwa curled a free-kick wide of near post as the hosts edged a tense final 15 minutes, which came to life once again when Jenas, only on 10 minutes earlier, struck home in style. There had been fears last weekend’s 2-1 win at Southampton could prove to be a flash in the pan, especially when Steven Fletcher put Sunderland ahead after 20 minutes. However, the hosts rallied and levelled the score on the half-hour mark through Loic Remy before Townsend and Jenas sealed the win in the second half. January acquisitions Andros Townsend and Jermaine Jenas both struck exquisite half-volleys as QPR’s survival hopes received a boost with a 3-1 win against Sunderland.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Wales game is massive – Whelan

first_img And while Wednesday’s game in Cardiff may only be a friendly, Whelan knows it is vital to continue a good run of form which has seen them lose just once in 2013 – to World and European champions Spain. “It is massive for us, we have gone on a good run and we need to keep that confidence going as we have got two big games next month,” said the Stoke player. “We put in a good performance against Spain, even though we lost, and everyone knows how friendlies can help build confidence, so we want a good result on Wednesday. “We have a few new players around the squad but they want to prove they can do a job on the big stage and we want to go into those games next month on a good performance and with the right result. “This is a derby game and we know it will be tough.” Opponents Wales will be without star player Gareth Bale, who will not be risked as he recovers from a foot injury. Whelan understands Bale reluctance to take any risks, given the prospect of a world-record move from Tottenham to Real Madrid before the transfer window closes. Speaking before Bale was ruled out of the match, he said: “He has got a big-money move lined up. No-one knows if it is on or off but if I was Gareth I would maybe be a little wary of playing before any deal is made. “But it’s up to himself and his manager. I dare say he would like to get a deal done and then play for his country, but if it isn’t done, I don’t think we’ll see him.” Trapattoni’s assistant Marco Tardelli believes Bale’s absence deprives Wales coach Chris Coleman of one of the world’s best players. “He is a very good player,” said the Italian. “At the moment he is up there with (Real forward) Cristiano Ronaldo and players of that calibre, and we saw this with what he did for Tottenham last season.” Of the reported £105million fee Real are ready to splash out on Bale, Tardelli added: “Times change but maybe in my time Diego Maradona may have been (worth that much). “I don’t know if Bale is worth that much but if someone pays it that is his value.” Ireland are firmly in the hunt to progress from Group C and are part of a three-strong group, along with Sweden and Austria, level on points behind leaders Germany. Next month sees Giovanni Trapattoni’s team face the Swedes and Austrians in two games which could define their campaign. Ireland midfielder Glenn Whelan hopes a full-blooded Celtic derby against Wales will provide ideal preparation for next month’s vital World Cup qualifiers. Press Associationlast_img read more

West Brom deny Berahino reports

first_img Press Association Sport understands Tottenham are not interested in signing Berahino and have no plans to make a bid for the forward in January while West Brom have ruled out a £23million-move to Liverpool. The club wrote via its official Twitter account: “OK time to clear a few things up. One final time, this Berahino to @LFC story for £23m is and always has been an entire fabrication…” West Brom are currently looking for a new manager after Irvine was sacked on Monday with the club sitting 16th in league table. Press Association Berahino was one of the Barclays Premier League’s star performers at the start of the season as he scored seven goals in the Baggies’ first nine games and earned a call-up to the England squad in November. The 21-year-old, however, started just one of Alan Irvine’s last five matches in charge at the Hawthorns, prompting reports linking the striker with a move to Liverpool and Tottenham. center_img West Brom insist reports suggesting Saido Berahino is set to join Liverpool are “entire fabrication” while Tottenham are also understood to be looking elsewhere in January.last_img read more

Cricket News Steve Smith joins Rajasthan Royals team for IPL 2019

first_img“It’s about making sure that we are aligned with the team values moving forward. I’ve obviously been out for 12 months and there’s been a big change, which is great, and it’s about us accepting that playing what our roles should be in the team moving forward,” said Warner. Smith seconded his views saying the focus of the meetings were about, “the values that are sort of instilled in the team at the moment and making sure we are on the right path looking forward to what’s coming up – a huge World Cup and an Ashes series in England. It’s pretty exciting times ahead for the team and just making sure everyone’s on the right path and heading in the same direction.”There’s been a lot of talk around Australian cricket over the last few months about how the dressing-room would welcome back the former leaders following their suspension. Coach Justin Langer elaborated on the bonhomie and camaraderie between the returning duo in dramatic fashion saying, “It is like two brothers coming back home. Brothers leave home for different reasons in families. So nice to have them back. They’ve been received really well. We had a good night together last night. It’s great to have them back in the team.”Langer also believed that the duo’s “hunger for playing well and to make a lot of runs” will bode well for the team going forward and also about how he hoped the team could continue building on the present culture and continue making “Australians proud”.” They’ve gone through a really tough time. A 12-month suspension is unprecedented really. As a coach, when you got two guys with their runs and experience coming back into a team that’s doing well, that’s pretty exciting,” he said.”I love going there and playing that tournament. It’s a great feel, great buzz, and good energy and India always put on a good show,” Warner added. Langer too felt that the IPL would allow his two key players to get back into the “rhythm of high-class cricket” and about being confident that they’ll both get plenty out of it and be prepared for their eventual comebacks to the team in England. Steve Smith missed IPL 2018 due to the ball-tampering scandal in Cape Town.Smith and David Warner were banned for one-year due to the controversy.Smith and Warner’s bans will end by the end of March. New Delhi: March is already proving to a glorious month in the life of Steve Smith. With his one-year ban for the ball-tampering scandal coming to an end by end of the month, Smith has reconnected with the Australian cricket team in Dubai and now, he is back in the IPL for Rajasthan Royals. Smith joined the Royals in Jaipur and he will attend the camp on Sunday. David Warner, also banned for one year due to the scandal, is also returning to the IPL and will join the Sunrisers Hyderabad training camp on Saturday. The duo spent some time in Dubai where both Australia and Pakistan will be playing a bilateral series. Steve Smith and David Warner have revealed to have felt like “they’d never left” after getting to spend some time with the Australian squad. With less than two weeks to go for their year-long bans to come to an end, both former captains insisted on the players have been very “welcoming” and “accepting”.”It’s been awesome. It’s like we didn’t really leave. The boys were very accepting of us coming in, with open arms and a lot of big hugs and cuddles and no it’s been great,” said Warner.Smith and Warner will be available for selection from March 29 and are expected to be brought back into the mix in England for the World Cup and the Ashes. Though the team struggled to find the rhythm post their suspension, a 3-2 victory in India would have surely given them a much-needed boost. “It seems like there’s really good energy around the group at the moment coming off the back of what was a really terrific win in India. The spirits are really high and the boys have had a few down days, and slowly getting ready obviously for the upcoming series against Pakistan. But, it’s been great to be back around the group,” he said. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. highlightslast_img read more

Joshua Gets Dec 12 Date with Pulev at London’s O2 Arena

first_imgWhile Epic Sports promoter John Wirt, who co-promotes Pulev with Top Rank, added: “We are happy that the fight appears to be back on track and that we have a new date and site.“There is still some tweaking to do on the contract but we are optimistic it should be concluded this week.”The heavyweight boxing calendar appears to be taking shape as Tyson Fury’s third clash with Deontay Wilder could take place a week later, according to talkSPORT.The much-anticipated showdown reportedly could be held on December 19, which could pave the way for the Battle of Britain between Joshua and Fury in 2021.The financial terms for the two blockbuster fights to unify the heavyweight division have been agreed but both Pulev and Wilder could upset the plan.Meanwhile, Oleksandr Usyk’s team are determined to ensure Joshua obeys WBO rules so that the pair will meet in the ring.Usyk would be the mandatory challenger to the WBO heavyweight belt held by Joshua, should he beat Dereck Chisora in his upcoming fight. The pair could meet in the ring on October 31.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram ANTHONY JOSHUA Anthony Joshua will fight IBF mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev on December 12 at London’s O2 Arena, Matchroom promoter, Eddie Hearn, has revealed.The bout was initially due to take place in June at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium but the coronavirus pandemic forced the contest to be postponed. However a new date has now been set.“Yes, December 12 at the O2 is the plan for AJ,” Hearn told Boxing Scene.last_img read more

Fraternities and sororities take deferred rush policy to court

first_imgFive Greek organizations have sued USC, claiming its deferred rush policy violates students’ constitutional rights.The lawsuit was filed in response to a policy announced by Vice President for Student Affairs Ainsley Carry last September. The policy, which will take full effect Fall 2018, prevents incoming freshmen from rushing during their first semester at the University. Students must complete at least 12 units at USC and maintain a 2.5 minimum GPA prior to joining a fraternity or sorority. Carry stated that other universities have implemented similar protocol to allow students to acclimate to campus life.“[Freshman year] is the toughest year of the transition to college life as students experience the most social and academic challenges,” Carry wrote.The Sigma Chi, Beta Theta Pi, Theta Xi and Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternities are listed on the lawsuit, as well as the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. Law firm Kirkland & Ellis will represent the five in their case against USC.The lawsuit alleges that prohibiting freshmen from participating in Greek life during their first semester is a form of discrimination against students and Greek organizations.“The sorority or fraternity the student joins can begin the process of instilling core values that will allow the student to become a valued and valuable member of the campus community and society at large,” the lawsuit stated.Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that six Greek organizations sued USC. The Daily Trojan regrets this error.last_img read more