“Clear strategy” in place for new Croom school

first_imgDeputy Patrick O’DonovanTHE Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board (LCETB) has “a clear strategy in place” to deliver a successful resolution to the proposed new secondary school in Croom, according to Limerick Fine Gael representatives.Deputy Patrick O’Donovan and Cllr Stephen Keary met with officials from the LCETB this week after requesting an update on the progress being made on the plans for the new school.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Deputy O’Donovan said he was “glad to have had the opportunity to discuss the issues which gave rise to the An Bord Pleanála decision to refuse the building of the school”.He added that the Department of Education is fully supportive of the project.Cllr Keary said that the project in Croom would see “a state-of-the-art school big enough for 1,000 students being constructed in the town”.This he said would be “a major stimulus to the area in terms of the construction project and fit out”.The Adare-Rathkeale councillor added he was anxious to see the school progressed for the students attending the existing Coláiste Chiaráin.Both Deputy O’Donovan and Cllr Keary say they are committed to helping to deliver the project and it is understood that work is continuing within the LCETB on the matter.Limerick Fianna Fáil TD Niall Collins last week described the current conditions at the school as “third world-like” and said that parents have complained about students coming home “cold and sick” due to the prefab accommodation. Linkedin Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Common sense would light up Croom Previous articleAAA called to account over Limerick street collectionsNext article€366,953 spent on undeveloped council sites in Limerick John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie O’Sullivan urges Limerick people affected by flooding to attend briefing TAGSAn Bord PleanalaCllr Stephen KearyColaiste ChiarainCroomDepartment of EducationeducationlimerickLimerick and Clare Education and Training Boardniall collinsPatrick O’Donovan TD Email Printcenter_img WhatsApp Advertisement News“Clear strategy” in place for new Croom schoolBy John Keogh – February 12, 2015 871 Croom festival highlights plight of Maigue crayfish Sod turned on €15 million Croom school campus Facebook An Bord Pleanála grants permission for King’s Island Flood Relief Scheme Dawn of a new era for education in Croomlast_img read more

Fury at plans to cut special needs support services in Inishowen

first_img Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal WhatsApp Google+ Facebook Twitter WhatsApp 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Pinterest By News Highland – September 3, 2012 News Fury at plans to cut special needs support services in Inishowen Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th center_img Pinterest Google+ Facebook Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Previous articleLetterkenny Mayor backs Donegal Town for county team’s home comingNext articleDoherty begins Australia trip News Highland There is anger in Inishowen after a meeting  was told this evening of plans to cut day service supports to persons with special needs and their families in Inishowen from five days down to three at centres in Buncrana, Carndonagh and Moville.During the meeting in the Cashel na Cor Centre in  Buncrana, families were informed of the proposed cuts to services.Reacting Councillor Rena Donaghey said there was extreme anger at the proposals which would be resisted.Deputy Padraig MacLochlainn added  “The people of Inishowen will not stand for this. They have rallied together and raised huge amounts of money for these centres. It was clear from tonight’s meeting that this proposal will be fought tooth  and nail.” Twitter 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan firelast_img read more

Worcester ball hit by touts

first_imgWorcester’s upcoming Commemoration Ball, an event once dubbed as “Times social event of the year”, has been mired in controversy over ticket touting.The Ball, to be held on 20 June, promises on its website to provide “a thousand excesses” and has aroused particularly fierce competition for entry. Users on the internet forum ‘The Student Room’ have been offering non-dining tickets for up to £500 in response to one ticket-seeker’s claim that they would “pay almost anything” to gain entry to the Ball.Tickets for the ball were only available to Worcester students as the event was completely sold out by the time ticket sales were opened up to the rest of the University, the Ball committee confirmed.Students were able to purchase a maximum of four tickets each, but due to the high demand, a clear gap in the market has opened for people who want to sell on their tickets for a marked up price.Ball President, Nick Waddell, said that the committee in “no way condone ticket touting”.He said, “We have been happy to transfer tickets into another name for people who have had cancellations, but obviously we have had to take people’s word in these few cases that it is just name transfer.“We do not condone this ticket touting and anyone who buys a second hand ticket does run the risk of being caught without correct, corresponding ID at the door,” he said.He added that the Committee had been “unaware that large amounts of money might be changing hands for ball tickets.” Revellers at a previous Commemoration Ball Wadstock Another Oxford social event, Wadham’s music festival, “Wadstock” has also been hit by allegations of ticket touting. One student at Merton has explained how high demand for Wadham’s ‘Wadstock’ event seemed to encourage touting from the moment tickets went on sale. She commented, “I queued up for a guest ticket for Wadstock on Monday evening, and bought three (for myself, my boyfriend and a friend who is visiting for the weekend).“However, there was no limit on how many you can buy, so people all around me were buying seven or eight and saying things like ‘I’ll definitely be able to find someone to sell it to if so-and-so can’t make it.’”She added that almost everyone in the queue bought seven or eight tickets, meaning that they sold out in about an hour, “rather than the several days organisers seemed to be planning on.”center_img He did however add that given the popularity of the ball, it had been suspected.He said, “If students had bought tickets specifically to sell on, then this is not really fair on the people who missed out first time round and now can’t get hold of a ticket at a reasonable price.”One Worcester undergraduate who was selling his ticket, bought for £160, at the increased price of £320, defended his decision. He said, “I know £320 is steep, but the tickets are like gold dust and have sold for far more.” He later offered a reduced price of £300.A second year from Merton described her experience of the ticket touting. She said, “I tried to buy a ticket that someone needed to sell, but they were basically getting people to bid for it, and since I wasn’t willing to go over £140 (15 [pounds] more than the face value), I didn’t get it.”last_img read more

India to trial DRS in England Tests

first_img(REUTERS) – India will use the Decision Review System (DRS) on a trial basis in the upcoming five-Test series against England to assess improvements made to the technology, the country’s cricket board said yesterday.The influential Indian board (BCCI) has long been a staunch opponent of the DRS system, which aims at reducing umpiring howlers by detecting edges and predicting the ball trajectory to ensure correct catch and leg-before decisions.“In the meeting with the ICC and the Hawk-Eye officials, the improvements made to the system were further evaluated by the BCCI team, who were satisfied that most of the concerns and suggestions that were expressed by BCCI over a period of time, were addressed to a significant extent,” the board said.India played in the first series that used DRS against Sri Lanka in 2008 but the BCCI have since refused to allow its use in any bilateral series involving its team.Test captain Virat Kohli recently hinted that India were finally ready to embrace the system.“We are happy to note that Hawk-Eye has institutionalised all the recommendations made by BCCI, and we confirm that this improved version of DRS will be used on a trial basis during the forthcoming series against England,” BCCI president Anurag Thakur said in a statement.“Based on the performance of the system and the feedback that we will receive, further continuation in forthcoming series will be decided.“We recognise the enhanced role of technology in sport and BCCI will lead such initiatives in coming days, and enrich the viewer experience.” The first Test between India and England will be held in Rajkot from November 9.last_img read more