Deputy Patrick O’DonovanTHE Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board (LCETB) has “a clear strategy in place” to deliver a successful resolution to the proposed new secondary school in Croom, according to Limerick Fine Gael representatives.Deputy Patrick O’Donovan and Cllr Stephen Keary met with officials from the LCETB this week after requesting an update on the progress being made on the plans for the new school.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Deputy O’Donovan said he was “glad to have had the opportunity to discuss the issues which gave rise to the An Bord Pleanála decision to refuse the building of the school”.He added that the Department of Education is fully supportive of the project.Cllr Keary said that the project in Croom would see “a state-of-the-art school big enough for 1,000 students being constructed in the town”.This he said would be “a major stimulus to the area in terms of the construction project and fit out”.The Adare-Rathkeale councillor added he was anxious to see the school progressed for the students attending the existing Coláiste Chiaráin.Both Deputy O’Donovan and Cllr Keary say they are committed to helping to deliver the project and it is understood that work is continuing within the LCETB on the matter.Limerick Fianna Fáil TD Niall Collins last week described the current conditions at the school as “third world-like” and said that parents have complained about students coming home “cold and sick” due to the prefab accommodation. Linkedin Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Common sense would light up Croom Previous articleAAA called to account over Limerick street collectionsNext article€366,953 spent on undeveloped council sites in Limerick John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie O’Sullivan urges Limerick people affected by flooding to attend briefing TAGSAn Bord PleanalaCllr Stephen KearyColaiste ChiarainCroomDepartment of EducationeducationlimerickLimerick and Clare Education and Training Boardniall collinsPatrick O’Donovan TD Email Print WhatsApp Advertisement News“Clear strategy” in place for new Croom schoolBy John Keogh – February 12, 2015 871 Croom festival highlights plight of Maigue crayfish Sod turned on €15 million Croom school campus Facebook An Bord Pleanála grants permission for King’s Island Flood Relief Scheme Dawn of a new era for education in Croom
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Portugal international and 5-time Ballon d Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo raked in £41.7m on Instagram, £14.3m higher than his Juventus Salary it has been revealed. The 35-year-old, who 222m followers on Instagram pocketed £41.7m from 43 sponsored posts in the past 12 months. According to a new report from Buzz Bingo, the Portuguese superstar has retained his crown as the social media site’s highest earner. The former Manchester United and Real Madrid ace, saw an increase of £3.5m from his Instagram earnings in 2019 by pocketing an average of £971,000 per sponsored post. Juve forward Cristiano Ronaldo leading the legion of heavy earners on Instagram Over the past year he promoted Nike, his fragrance CR7 Play it Cool and even an EMS training device called ‘Sixpad’. Ronaldo’s longstanding rival Lionel Messi was beaten into the second spot after his sponsored posts collected a total of £25.2m, or £631,000 every time he made one. The Barcelona captain has money-making partnerships with Adidas and regularly posts pictures of his globe-trotting lifestyle. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 David Beckham was once again the highest-paid British star on the rich list for his posts to his 63m followers. The 45-year-old is such a hit on the social media platform he scooped a whopping £9.6m despite retiring over seven years ago. Some of his paid Instagram partnerships included posts for Tudor Watch, Marina Bay Sands Hotel and Kent & Curwen. In a list dominated by athletes, Neymar is the fifth-highest sportsman after netting £6.7m from the social media site this year with a reported average of £617,000 per paid post. Interestingly Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has the second most sponsored posts of all celebrities at 47, four above Ronaldo. Yet the Poland international’s lack of off-field exposure means he can only fetch around £76k per post and made just £3.58m for his troubles this year. Read AlsoAnthony Joshua named among sports money bags of 2020 in Britain And despite being considered one of football’s most marketable stars, Manchester United star Paul Pogba is ninth on Instagram’s highest-earning athletes. The Frenchman, who has a £290,000-a-week wage packet at Old Trafford, can make an additional £181k per sponsored post and scored £1.8m this year. Loading… Promoted Content6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?The Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More10 Largest Cities In The World8 Ways Drones Are Shaping Our Future7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better7 Things That Actually Ruin Your PhoneWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms?7 Most Asntonishing Train Stations In The WorldThese TV Characters Proved That Any 2 People Can Bury The Hatchet
Keith Wood has described Ireland’s repeated failure to progress beyond the World Cup quarter-finals as “a horrible and embarrassing statistic”. But with 100 days to go before rugby union’s eighth global spectacular kicks off at Twickenham, Ireland’s standing has arguably never been higher in a World Cup year. They have won the last two RBS 6 Nations Championship titles under coaching mastermind Joe Schmidt and also beaten southern hemisphere heavyweights South Africa and Australia during his reign, suggesting they could finally mount a concerted challenge on the World Cup stage. Ireland are drawn in the same pool as France, Italy, Canada and Romania, and Wood believes a semi-final appearance should be the minimum target for a squad that has made significant strides under Schmidt’s astute direction. And such an achievement would contrast starkly with previous Irish World Cup performances that realised five quarter-final exits, one quarter-final play-off defeat and a failure in 2007 to even progress beyond the pool stage. Former Ireland captain Wood represented his country at three World Cups, experiencing last-eight elimination twice and one play-off demise when that additional knockout phase was used in 1999. “It is a horrible and embarrassing statistic,” said Wood, a Rugby World Cup 2015 MasterCard ambassador. “There are times when we should have gone beyond the quarter-finals, but I think as a team and country in the professional era, we are probably more mature at this stage. “I think the structures are probably right for us to have a bit of a tilt at it this time. “I don’t think you are going to hear noises like ‘we are the best prepared team’ and all that sort of stuff. Joe seems to have the big view always, while still keeping a very keen eye on the one game at a time mantra.” Wood, who won 58 caps and played in five Tests for the British and Irish Lions, was a member of the selection panel that recommended Schmidt’s appointment as Ireland coach in April 2013, and he has huge admiration for the 49-year-old New Zealander. “I think Joe has done a great job,” Wood added. “I sat on the selection panel, which was extraordinary in the fact that I had a series of questions ready to make him feel really uncomfortable, but he answered everything in his presentation. It was so comprehensive. “I think he has brought that level of detail to the Irish team, and it needed it. “I think it puts the players under an awful lot of pressure, physically. He works the players very hard, but they are responding to it very well and they are dedicated to it. “If they can have all their players together, then you would say that their minimum target has to be getting to the semi-finals, but if say (half-backs) Conor Murray and Johnny Sexton were injured, the shape of the team they’ve had for the last year is gone. How does the team react to that? “I think an awful lot hinges on injuries over the next four or five months, but that applies to all the teams. “At this stage, with the tournament so close, as a player you are just looking to get yourself in the best place you can possibly be and hope that you can clear yourself of injuries. “It’s a daunting time – full of fear and anticipation – and you want to make sure you don’t play the Rugby World Cup in your mind before you get to the tournament because you will be burnt out.” While some of the World Cup contenders, including reigning champions New Zealand, should enjoy relatively trouble-free routes to the quarter-finals, the same cannot be said for hosts England, Wales and Australia. Pitched together in the same pool, one high-profile nation will be eliminated with indecent haste, and Wood said: “That pool is just downright ugly. “There are three teams there that have huge capacity and could each beat each other. There is nothing worse, really, than having a tournament where you have preordained quarter-finals. You can’t preordain anything in that group, and I wouldn’t want to call anything between any of those three teams. “I think rugby has moved on quite a large step in the last four years. Look at what can only be described as almost an hallucinogenic final day of the Six Nations this year when all the (title-challenging) teams played at ludicrous levels. “It showed that these players, sometimes, if they can take off the shackles a little bit and really push the standard, it opens up possibilities for the World Cup.” :: Keith Wood is a MasterCard Rugby World Cup 2015 brand ambassador. MasterCard will be delivering Priceless Surprises to MasterCard card holders and rugby fans around the world. Press Association
“One-Two Punch” runs Tuesdays. To comment on this article, visit dailytrojan.com or email James at [email protected] The sophomore slump is as much a part of sports as hot dogs and cheerleaders.The term means exactly what it says — a player, in his second year, fails to come close to living up to the enormous expectations placed on him after the success of his rookie season.Sophomore slumps are fairly common, partly because opposing teams now know exactly what to expect and how to prepare for it, and partly because the players themselves cannot seem to maintain the levels of confidence they had the year before.But after a breakout freshman season in which he posted 792 yards receiving and six touchdowns on 65 receptions, sophomore receiver Robert Woods seems to ignore this phenomenon altogether.The wideout has taken his game to new levels, and hasn’t hesitated a moment to prove it. In the first game of the season alone, Woods had a record-setting 17 catches, torching Minnesota for 177 yards and three touchdowns.In that one game, Woods matched almost a quarter of his receptions and yards, and half of his touchdowns from the entire 2010 season.Since then, the sophomore has had two straight games of eight receptions each, totaling 184 yards and a touchdown.Woods is on pace to reel in 132 passes for 1,444 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2011, which is enough to shatter the single-season records in receptions and yards.He’s just the latest in a long line of star wideouts to start their legacies at USC, but Woods seems to have a step up on even those pass-catchers immortalized in Heritage Hall.A simple glance at the sophomore isn’t enough to reveal why exactly this is — as a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder, Woods isn’t exactly Dwayne Jarret-esque. In fact, he’s one of the smaller guys on the team.So what makes Woods so good?You could point to his rapport with junior quarterback Matt Barkley. Barkley has already spoken of the “telepathic” connection the two share when on the field, and you’d be hard-pressed to find an instance of miscommunication so far this year.It is no coincidence Barkley targets Woods more often than any of his other receivers and has completed more than 80 percent of his passes when doing so.One could argue that his fundamentals — crisp route running, the fact that he uses his hands and not his body to catch passes — can also be credited for his blossoming success.Woods is able to exploit even the smallest advantages he has over a defense and turn them into major gains for the Trojans.Though these attributes have bolstered his skyrocketing numbers, they take a backseat to the true reason for Woods’ meteoric rise: his focus.Woods is 19 years old, and yet he has put himself in a position to be successful from the start of his career.In a season where the Trojans have seen their share of off-field incidents and academic ineligibilities, the kid who is still getting used to seeing R-rated movies in theaters has managed to become the role model most veterans hope to become.Woods has made it look easy to fill the shoes of the great receivers before him, but it wouldn’t be possible without his ability to stay on track and ensure his continued development as a football player. With the common story in sports today centering on the wasted potential of athletes for one reason or another, he makes for a refreshing case study.Though there is a lot more football to be played and a lot left to prove, Woods has made it clear he doesn’t intend on letting up anytime this season. The sophomore’s talent and fundamentals are unparalleled, and his work ethic will ensure he stays at the top of his game.But more than anything, Woods is simply just too focused to be bothered, especially with something as ridiculous as a sophomore slump.