Pasadena Man Pleads Guilty for Role in Deadly Kidnapping-for-Ransom Plot

first_imgPublic Safety Pasadena Man Pleads Guilty for Role in Deadly Kidnapping-for-Ransom Plot By BRIAN DAY Published on Thursday, October 29, 2020 | 2:18 pm Ruochen “Tony” Liao, 28, of Santa Ana, who died during the course of a kidnapping-for-ransom plot in 2018, pictured in an undated photo provided by the FBI.[UPDATED] A Pasadena man pleaded guilty Thursday to a federal kidnapping charge in connection with the kidnap-for-ransom of a Santa Ana man in San Gabriel two years ago, who prosecutors said died after being repeatedly beaten and shocked with a Taser before his body was buried in the Mojave Desert, authorities said.Anthony Valladares, 28, of Pasadena admitted to the charge in federal court in Los Angeles, according to U.S. Attorneys Office spokesman Thom Mrozek. Under a plea agreement reached with prosecutors last month, he’s expected to face between 12 and 25 years in prison when he returns to court for sentencing on Oct. 18.He, along with three other men, kidnapped 28-year-old Ruochen “Tony” Liao of Santa, reportedly a luxury car dealer, from the parking lot of a shopping center in San Gabriel on July 16, 2018, according to federal prosecutors.He was taken to a home in Corona where he was bound, blindfolded, repeatedly beaten and repeatedly shocked with a Taser, the DOJ said in a written statement.The kidnappers contacted Liao’s family and demanded a $2 million ransom, authorities said.Prosecutors believe Liao died the following day, before his body was taken to the Mojave Desert and buried.The body remained unidentified until the victim’s identity was determined through DNA analysis in July of 2019.Three co-defendants have also been charged in connection with the deadly kidnapping plot.Alexis Ivan Romero Velez, 24, of Azusa, pleaded guilty to a federal kidnapping charge in September for his role in the crime, according to U.S. Attorneys Office spokesman Ciaran McEvoy.Velez also faces an expected 12 to 25 years in federal prison at his sentencing, which has been scheduled for Feb. 4, according to court documents.“Valladares was the ‘muscle’ hired to intimidate, beat, and subdue Liao during the kidnapping,” Mrozek said in a written statement. “Valladares agreed to accept cash for the job.”He was paid $1,000 for the crime, officials said.The two men who allegedly orchestrated the plot, Guangyao Yang, 26, and Peicheng Shen, 34, fled to China following the kidnapping, officials said. They’re last known U.S. residences were in West Covina.Both have since been taken into custody in China and were expected to face charges there in connection with the crime, officials said.Shen had met with the victim several times over the summer, “under the pretense that Shen would help the victim collect a debt from another individual,” according to Mrozek.On their third meeting, Shen lured Liao into a minivan, where Valladares attacked him upon hearing a signal word from Shen, prosecutors said.“Once Shen uttered the word, Valladares and Shen violently assaulted Liao, used a taser to subdue him, and ultimately bound and restrained him with a black hood and ties,” Mrozek said. “Valladares admitted to helping Yang acquire the taser used in the kidnapping, and also admitted to acquiring a revolver and bullets for the kidnapping.”“Shen and Yang then took the victim to a house in Corona, where they confined him by binding his legs together, taping his eyes shut, restraining his arms behind him and confining him in a closet,” Mrozek said.The victim’s father received a phone call the following day demanding $2 million be transferred into three Chinese bank accounts within three hours, “in exchange for the victim’s life,” he said. “The victim’s father also received photographs of the victim, who was physically restrained in a closet.”Valladares and Velez were not believed to have been present when Liao died, prosecutors said. That took place while he was allegedly being held captive by Shen and Yang, who also allegedly disposed of the body.“Further, Shen allegedly had the closet of the Corona house re-carpeted,” Mrozek said. “Yang also performed internet searches to determine, in effect, how fast a corpse decomposes in soil.”CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the expected sentences faced by the defendants. The story has been updated.See also:Pasadena Man Expected to Plead Guilty Thursday in Deadly San Gabriel Valley Kidnapping, Ransom PlotPasadena Man, Azusa Man Arrested in Connection with Deadly Kidnapping and Extortion Plot 14 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it HerbeautyHe Is Totally In Love With You If He Does These 7 ThingsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyNutritional Strategies To Ease AnxietyHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty10 Vietnamese Stunners That Will Take Your Breath AwayHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty10 Most Influential Women In HistoryHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyCreative Ways To Burn Calories That Require Little EffortHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty6 Strong Female TV Characters Who Deserve To Have A SpinoffHerbeautyHerbeauty STAFF REPORT First Heatwave Expected Next Week Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Community News Subscribe Community News Make a comment Top of the News center_img STAFF REPORT Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS Business News Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPasadena Public WorksPasadena Water and PowerPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes More Cool Stuff CITY NEWS SERVICE/STAFF REPORT Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday last_img read more

Disney+ launches in Ireland today

first_imgLimerickNewsDisney+ launches in Ireland todayBy Meghann Scully – March 24, 2020 228 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Facebook Email These providers will have the ability to include Disney+ in wholesale and retail packages for their subscribers. Specifics of those offers vary per company.Disney also has a retail distribution deal with Sky, making Disney+ available in Ireland and the UK on Sky Q, to be followed by NOW TV in the coming months.Pricing for Disney+ has been confirmed at €6.99 per month, or €69.99 for an annual subscription. Following its initial European launch markets, additional Western Europe markets, including Belgium, the Nordics, and Portugal, will follow in summer 2020.Full details and information on how to subscribe are available on Disneyplus.com. With over 500 films, 26 exclusive original movies and series and thousands of television episodes from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and more, Disney+ is the new streaming home for some of the world’s most beloved stories.“Launching in seven markets simultaneously marks a new milestone for Disney+,“ said Kevin Mayer, Chairman of Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International.“As the streaming home for Disney, Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, and National Geographic, Disney+ delivers high-quality, optimistic storytelling that fans expect from our brands, now available broadly, conveniently, and permanently on Disney+.“We humbly hope that this service can bring some much-needed moments of respite for families during these difficult times.” he added.Starting today, subscribers can enjoy 26 Disney+ Originals titles including “The Mandalorian,” the epic first-ever live-action Star Wars series; “Lady and the Tramp,” a live-action re-telling of the 1955 animated classic; “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series,” the all-new scripted series set at the real-life East High featured in the hit movies;“The World According to Jeff Goldblum” docu-series from National Geographic; “Marvel’s Hero Project,” which celebrates extraordinary kids making a difference in their communities; “Encore!,” executive produced by the multi-talented Kristen Bell;“The Imagineering Story” a 6-part documentary from Emmy and Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Leslie Iwerks and animated short film collections “SparkShorts” and “Forky Asks A Question” from Pixar Animation Studios.Disney+ is also the new streaming home of the iconic animated series “The Simpsons,” with over 600 episodes available together on-demand for the first time. At launch, seasons 1 to 30 will be available, with season 31 coming to the service later in the year.Watch Anywhere, Anytime Audiences can stream Disney+ on nearly all major mobile and connected TV devices from today, including gaming consoles, streaming media players, and smart TVs.Subscribers can enjoy commercial-free viewing, up to four concurrent streams, unlimited downloads on up to ten devices, personalised recommendations, and the ability to set up to seven different profiles, including the ability for parents to set Kids Profiles that have an easy to navigate, child-friendly interface to access age-appropriate content.Consumers can subscribe up for Disney+ directly or via in-app purchase from the following platforms and devices:Amazon (Fire TV devices, Fire TV Edition smart TVs, and Fire Tablets)Apple (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV, and fully integrated with the Apple TV app in the UK and Germany; customers can subscribe to Disney+ via in-app purchase)Google (Android phones, Android TV devices, Google Chromecast and Chromecast built-in devices)LG Smart TVs with webOSMicrosoft (Xbox One)Roku (Roku® streaming players and Roku TV™ models) in Ireland and the UK from today, and France from 7th AprilSamsung Smart TVsSony / Sony Interactive Entertainment (Android-based Sony TVs and PlayStation®4) For customer support, subscribers are encouraged to view the online Help Centre for answers to the most common questions, along with articles designed to help them navigate Disney+. Linkedin Twitter Previous articleShannon Airport is continuing to facilitate flights to repatriate passengersNext articleLimerick Post Show | Cllr Elisa O’Donovan talks Covid-19 Meghann Scully Through a comprehensive distribution plan and several strategic agreements, Disney+ is also available across multiple premier distributors in Europe with regional deals including:Deutsche Telekom in GermanyO2 in the UKTelefonica in SpainTIM in ItalyCanal+ in France (from April 7th)center_img TAGSDisneyfilmsKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick PostmoviesWalt Disney Disney+, the highly anticipated streaming service from The Walt Disney Company, launches today in Ireland, the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Switzerland.The service will launch in France on April 7th. In light of concerns regarding the current ability of certain broadband infrastructure to handle the anticipated consumer demand for Disney+, the service will now feature a lower overall bandwidth utilisation by at least 25%. WhatsApp WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Print Advertisement Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live last_img read more