[H/T Billboard] FYF Fest has been canceled, according to a post on the event’s social media pages. The canceled event, originally scheduled to take place on July 21 and 22 at Exposition Park would have marked the 15th annual edition of the long-running Los Angeles festival. According to Billboard, the festival’s promoter, Goldenvoice and AEG Live, cited low ticket sales as the reason for cancellation.The lineup was set to feature performances from Florence and the Machine, Janet Jackson, The Breeders, Future, the xx, My Bloody Valentine, St. Vincent, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Car Seat Headrest, Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks and more.As the statement reads:After much consideration, we have made the difficult decision to cancel FYF Fest 2018. Our team of many women and men have worked tirelessly on this event for many years but felt unable to present an experience on par with the expectations of our loyal fans and the Los Angeles music community this year. We will be announcing some special local shows soon, featuring some of the amazing artists from the 2018 lineup.The cancellation comes at the end of a trying, scandal-ridden year for the long-tenured festival. In late 2017, festival founder Sean Carlson was accused of sexual misconduct and removed as the FYF head by Goldenvoice. In February of this year, it was announced that a trio of female FYF staff members had created a new company, This Is Who We Are Now, that took over the concerts booked as FYF Presents. For the actual FYF Fest, Goldenvoice’s Jennifer Yacoubian booked the recently-announced 2018 lineup–a female-heavy roster that set out to continue the event’s quest for redemption after Carlson’s misconduct came to light. However, with low April ticket sales, the promoting partners decided that they weren’t confident in moving forward with FYF. As of yet, the future of FYF Fest beyond this summer is unclear.You can see a full statement about the cancellation on the FYF website.
Members of the Military Acceptance Project, an organization started by graduate students from the USC School of Social Work, launched a website earlier this month to educate service members about the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell.”The site features articles, training materials and other sources of information designed to give information and support to all military members in light of the repeal of don’t ask, don’t tell, the policy that prohibited lesbian, gay or bisexual service members from, discussing their sexual orientation. The bill to repeal the policy was passed in 2010.The Military Acceptance Project provides links and information to services that offer help and support LGB service members.MAP was co-founded by Kristen Kavanaugh, a former Marine Corps captain and graduate of the United States Naval Academy. Kavanaugh, a first-year graduate student working toward a master’s degree in social work, said she got the idea to create the organization after she began her studies at USC in January.“My social welfare class was given an assignment to advocate for an oppressed or marginalized population,” Kavanaugh said. “The implementation of the repeal of don’t ask, don’t tell was on my mind, and I suggested that we advocate for lesbian, gay and bisexual service members affected by the passage of the repeal.”Jasper Kump, a public relations associate from the MAP, said the organizations’ central mission is to encourage others to be more accepting of all former, current and future service members, especially those who have been marginalized for any reason.Currently, MAP is focusing solely on issues relating to the LGB community, but will seek to expand the issues they cover in the future.Kump said the effects of DADT have long been felt by LGB service members. The MAP combines its members’ passions for the military and helping others into one organization that seeks to better understand how we can help the LGB community.“It is our hope that the website will not only provide information regarding the repeal of don’t ask, don’t tell, but will also serve as a catalyst to help educate, enlighten, and empower all members of the military to treat each other with understanding, respect, and equality,” Kump said.Jane Allgood, a clinical associate professor of social work who oversaw the project from its inception, said MAP has already had an immediate impact on the USC community.“[The MAP] further demonstrates how USC is on the forefront in providing social work services to the military,” Allgood said. “The School of Social Work is the first in the country to have a true focus on military social work, and to have the structure we do for research on the military and their families.”The reaction to the MAP so far has been positive, according to Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh has also received encouraging feedback from both the LGB and the straight communities, as well as both military members and civilians.Kump said the organization has faced very few challenges in its early stages.“We’ve been pleasantly surprised by how many people are not only supportive but also excited about the work we’re beginning,” Kavanaugh said. “The Department of Defense as well as branches of the military were all interested, and cooperated with us in sourcing information for the site, providing us with training materials, and serving as a contact for anonymous feedback from LGB service members.”Nick Borrelli, a first-year graduate student in social work who also works with the MAP, said he has seen many people, not just at USC but around southern California, request additional information about DADT’s repeal and its significance for the LGB community.“I’ve had so many classmates interning at the Department of Veteran Affairs in San Diego asking them to pass on this knowledge,” Borrelli said. “They have clients asking them questions directly related to what we’re working on, and these resources that we have would be amazing for them.”The MAP hopes to aid LGB service members for many years to come, even after Kavanaugh and her fellow students receive their degrees from USC.“Our team understands that the project does not end at the close of the semester, but is committed to continuing the project until there is no longer a need for it,” Allgood said.
HOBART, Australia (AP):Adam Voges and Shaun Marsh scored unbeaten centuries and combined for a 317-run partnership to pace Australia to a commanding 438-3 on the opening day of the first Test against the West Indies yesterday.Voges, who resumed on nine after lunch and reached his century before tea at Bellerive Oval, was unbeaten on 174 at the end of play.Fellow Western Australian player Marsh made 97 in the third session to finish the day on 139 not out as the frustrated West Indies bowlers failed to take a wicket after lunch.Australia brought up 400 in 78 overs, an average of more than five runs per over, and finished the day with an average of 4.92.”I started a little bit slow, but once I got into my rhythm I felt really good out there, and I think Vogesy really helped with that,” Marsh said.”He was going really well and scoring runs freely and sort of got me going as well. I thought he batted beautifully today, and to be out there with one of my really good mates (and) to both get hundreds for our country was very special.”Television commentator and former legspinning great Shane Warne was critical of West Indies captain Jason Holder for not taking the second new ball when it was available after 80 overs and for not moving players in from the boundary to the slip cordon in an attempt to take a late wicket.It was a big first day for scoring in the region, with New Zealand making 409-8 on the opening day of their home Test against Sri Lanka at Dunedin.Voges made his first-class debut 13 years ago but did not earn his first Test cap for Australia until June on this year’s tour of the Caribbean. It was the third career century for each player and Marsh’s first at an Australian ground.”It’s something I’ve been working really hard to try and do,” said Marsh. “I got 99 last year (against India), so to get to three figures on home soil was pretty special.”Earlier, West Indies left-arm spinner Jomel Warrican took the important wickets of opener David Warner and captain Steven Smith as Australia went to lunch at 121-3 after winning the toss and electing to bat.Warner and Joe Burns hit a combined 12 boundaries in an opening partnership of 75 runs from the first eight overs, but Australia went on to lose three wickets for 51.Burns was clean-bowled by paceman Shannon Gabriel for 33 and Smith was caught at first slip off Warrican for 10. Warner scored 64 before being caught behind in the second to last over before lunch.”We had Australia at 120-odd for three, but Marsh and Voges were both very good, and they put us on the back foot,” Warrican told Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio.”Later in the day, it became more difficult for the bowlers to get wickets. It just wasn’t disciplined to be honest. We will have to come out tomorrow and bowl really well.”Gabriel left the pitch during the final session with a left ankle injury and was expected to undergo later scans. He finished the day with 1-59 off 10 overs.