Worcester ball hit by touts

first_imgWorcester’s upcoming Commemoration Ball, an event once dubbed as “Times social event of the year”, has been mired in controversy over ticket touting.The Ball, to be held on 20 June, promises on its website to provide “a thousand excesses” and has aroused particularly fierce competition for entry. Users on the internet forum ‘The Student Room’ have been offering non-dining tickets for up to £500 in response to one ticket-seeker’s claim that they would “pay almost anything” to gain entry to the Ball.Tickets for the ball were only available to Worcester students as the event was completely sold out by the time ticket sales were opened up to the rest of the University, the Ball committee confirmed.Students were able to purchase a maximum of four tickets each, but due to the high demand, a clear gap in the market has opened for people who want to sell on their tickets for a marked up price.Ball President, Nick Waddell, said that the committee in “no way condone ticket touting”.He said, “We have been happy to transfer tickets into another name for people who have had cancellations, but obviously we have had to take people’s word in these few cases that it is just name transfer.“We do not condone this ticket touting and anyone who buys a second hand ticket does run the risk of being caught without correct, corresponding ID at the door,” he said.He added that the Committee had been “unaware that large amounts of money might be changing hands for ball tickets.” Revellers at a previous Commemoration Ball Wadstock Another Oxford social event, Wadham’s music festival, “Wadstock” has also been hit by allegations of ticket touting. One student at Merton has explained how high demand for Wadham’s ‘Wadstock’ event seemed to encourage touting from the moment tickets went on sale. She commented, “I queued up for a guest ticket for Wadstock on Monday evening, and bought three (for myself, my boyfriend and a friend who is visiting for the weekend).“However, there was no limit on how many you can buy, so people all around me were buying seven or eight and saying things like ‘I’ll definitely be able to find someone to sell it to if so-and-so can’t make it.’”She added that almost everyone in the queue bought seven or eight tickets, meaning that they sold out in about an hour, “rather than the several days organisers seemed to be planning on.”center_img He did however add that given the popularity of the ball, it had been suspected.He said, “If students had bought tickets specifically to sell on, then this is not really fair on the people who missed out first time round and now can’t get hold of a ticket at a reasonable price.”One Worcester undergraduate who was selling his ticket, bought for £160, at the increased price of £320, defended his decision. He said, “I know £320 is steep, but the tickets are like gold dust and have sold for far more.” He later offered a reduced price of £300.A second year from Merton described her experience of the ticket touting. She said, “I tried to buy a ticket that someone needed to sell, but they were basically getting people to bid for it, and since I wasn’t willing to go over £140 (15 [pounds] more than the face value), I didn’t get it.”last_img read more

Felix, Partey give Atletico points in Moscow

first_imgRelatedPosts Suarez agrees Atletico terms Aguero could be out of action until November, Guardiola says UCL: Benfica kicked out by player who left club one week earlier + other results Atletico Madrid’s 126-million-euro forward Joao Felix scored his first goal in the Champions League to help his side earn a 2-0 win at Lokomotiv Moscow in Group D on Tuesday. The Portugal international broke the deadlock early in the second half of a tight game, sliding to the floor to knock the ball in on the rebound after his first shot had been parried by the hosts’ goalkeeper Guilherme. Thomas Partey doubled Atletico’s lead 10 minutes later, knocking a ball from Diego Costa into the net. This was after a lovely chipped pass from Felix, who became the fourth-most expensive player of all-time when he joined from Benfica in July. The win took Atletico into second place in the group on four points, the same number as leaders Juventus who beat Bayer Leverkusen 3-0 and have a better goal difference. Atletico had produced a gutsy comeback to draw 2-2 at home to Juventus two weeks ago and although there was less drama in this victory, Diego Simeone’s side always looked in control in the Russian capital. They should have taken the lead early in the first half when a flicked header from Felix made its way to an unmarked Diego Costa at the far post, who somehow missed the target with a gaping goal in front of him. Alvaro Morata, who was back in the team after being suspended for Saturday’s goalless draw against Real Madrid, also had a chance to put Atletico ahead before the break but was thwarted by Guilherme. Atletico had drawn blanks in three of their previous five games but a goal finally arrived when Felix showed hunger to race into the area and meet a low cross from Morata, and then follow up his shot to score. “It was only a matter of time before we scored, we knew the ball was going to go in at some point,” Felix told reporters. Partey, who was widely hailed for his energetic performance against Real, put Atletico further at ease. Although it took an outstanding double save from goalkeeper Jan Oblak to prevent Grzegorz Krychowiak scoring for Lokomotiv later on. “Today we were able to convert chances that we have been struggling to score recently,” added Atletico coach Simeone. “We missed a few chances in the first half and we spoke about that at halftime and made sure we turned up our intensity to get the best out of our forwards.” Reuters/NAN.Tags: Atletico MadridJoao FelixLokomotiv MoscowThomas ParteyUEFA Champions Leaguelast_img read more

Forest duo set for Newcastle switch

first_img Darlow joined Forest in 2006 after being released by Aston Villa’s academy as a teenager. Some impressive displays last season saw Premier League scouts flock to the City Ground to watch him, with Liverpool and Spurs thought to be particularly keen. He emerged as the club’s number one back in 2012 and has gone on to make 67 first-team appearances. The acquisition of Lascelles and Darlow takes Newcastle manager Alan Pardew’s number of new signings up to nine, with the Forest duo following Facundo Ferreyra, Siem de Jong, Daryl Janmaat, Emmanual Riviere, Jack Colback, Ayoze Perez and Remy Cabella to St James’ Park. Pearce, who spent two years at Newcastle towards the end of his playing career, only last week insisted that none of his young stars would be sold unless it was right for the club. On Monday evening he told the Nottingham Post: “We had an offer from Newcastle, that I was made aware of last week, in regards to the two players going there. “The figures that were mentioned, by the representative of our club – I said I would not do that deal, when I was asked the question. “I thought I could push their value up and that they would be worth more in the long run. “The first I heard today about things was when Jamaal Lascelles came in and told me that he had a medical at 2pm at Newcastle. “That disappointed me greatly.” Academy product Lascelles has been on the radar of the country’s big clubs for a few years now. Forest turned down an offer from Arsenal in 2011, while in January this year Everton were fined £45,000 and warned as to their future conduct after making an unauthorised approach for the player in 2010. More recently, Tottenham have been linked with a move for the England Under-21 international who became a first-team regular for the Reds last season. Nottingham Forest manager Stuart Pearce has confirmed that Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow are set to sign for Newcastle. The deal will see both players remain at the City Ground for the 2014/15 season as part of a loan arrangement between the two clubs, but the Reds boss insists the highly-rated pair have been allowed to leave against his advice. Central defender Lascelles, 20, and goalkeeper Darlow, 23, have been tracked by several Barclays Premier League clubs but the Magpies have won the race to secure their signatures – reportedly paying Forest in the region of £5million. Press Associationlast_img read more